The GMCL Rain Panel will be operational from Saturday 17 April 2021 and throughout the season thereafter.
The GMCL Rain Panel will operate in designated divisions, these are:
SATURDAY = DIVISIONS 3 & 4
SUNDAY = ALL DIVISIONS
- INSTRUCTIONS & GUIDANCE
- UMPIRES AVAILABLE
1. INSTRUCTIONS & GUIDANCE
- Any HOME club which feels their ground may not be fit to host a game have the option to call in a Rain Panel Umpire. There are certain criteria which must be met before this can happen.
- If any club feels that play later that day may not be possible they can contact a Rain Panel Umpire but must ensure sufficient time is available for the umpire to attend and carry out a thorough inspection and make a decision. The decision to cancel a game MUST be made at least two hours before the scheduled start time so sufficient time must be allowed for the Rain Panel Umpire to visit the ground, inspect and make a decision on whether the match be cancelled. That time must be no less than two hours prior to the scheduled start time. So for example, a match due to start at 1.00pm, the Rain Panel Umpire must have made his decision before 11.00am on the day of the match. In practice this requires the Home club to make contact with a Rain Panel Umpire around 9.00am on the day of the match. This will allow the Umpire time to travel to the ground, carry out an inspection, maybe consult with colleagues and then inform the club of his decision. On the evening before the game, if the HOME Club considers their ground will not be fit for play the following day, they can contact a Rain Panel Umpire to book an appointment for the Rain Panel Umpire to attend the following morning.
- The Rain Panel Umpire will inform the appointed Umpires of the cancellation of the fixture (WTU will need to be used to access phone numbers) and the home club will inform the away team. If the Rain Panel Umpire believes play may be possible then he will inform the club of his decision and allow the standing umpire/s attend for the match as normal.
- If the Rain Panel Umpire decides play will not be possible on the day, then he will call the match off and both clubs and the umpire/s are informed as per the process outlined above. The Rain Panel Umpire will be paid £10.00 at the time of the inspection by the club whose ground is being inspected. We strongly recommend in such instances the Rain Panel Umpire takes photos in support of his decision to call the match off. Most umpires now have smartphones which can be used to do this.
- Umpires who are informed that their match is cancelled, should contact the appropriate Umpires Appointments Officer to see if there is another match that they can be appointed to. If such a game exists they will umpire that game and receive the appropriate fee.
- The benefit of this proposal is to try to stave off unnecessary expense on the day. Some clubs may not have roll on/roll off covers and water removal equipment, therefore this option may save a considerable expense on a match day. The cost of Umpires, teas, etc. when there is little prospect of play is an expense that can be avoided.
3. UMPIRES AVAILABLE